Common Core App

Thursday, January 16, 2014

More Opinion Writing for Kindergarten (Writing Samples)

I am so proud of my students' writing again! They are doing a fantastic job with opinion writing. It is so fun to read their writings. Their writings make me smile and laugh.

My students wrote about pets again, but this time, they had to decide whether a rabbit or a fish is a better pet and tell why. There's probably not as many students who have rabbits or fish for a pet, so we read some informational books about these two pets to provide them with some background information.

 
After reading the nonfiction texts, we made a chart listing information the students learned about each pet. This is some of the information the students gave me. 
 
 
We used this information to decide which pet we thought was better and why. Then the students wrote to tell their opinion about which pet was better. I reminded them that when we write our opinion about something, we tell how we feel or what we think about something. I really stressed that opinions are not right or wrong, they are just your opinion telling how you feel about something. We all have our opinions about many things in life.
 
Then the students were given their writing template as shown below and they started writing away. They had so much fun with this opinion writing activity. I think they are hooked on writing their opinion about different topics.
 
I wrote in pencil under some of their words in case you have difficulty interpreting some of their invented spelling. I hope you have fun reading these. If you would like the template below, you can download it HERE.  
 
 
Writing Sample #1
 
 
Writing Sample #2
This student even wrote some on the back of the paper also.
 
 
 
Writing Sample #3
 
 
Writing Sample #4
 
 
I hope you enjoyed reading these opinion writings.
Again, if you would like to download the template, you can do so HERE. I have many different opinion writing topics available. I'll be sharing more samples soon! :)
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 

4 comments:

  1. I love this! We just started our opinion writing unit in first grade today so it is awesome to see what you are doing with your class. Thanks for the writing template- I am definitely going to use that with my students.
    Diana :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I hope your first graders do well with opinion writing. My students love it! Good luck! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I love this! This is only my second year teaching K and I have not done opinion writing with them yet.... I think I will now!! What a great post!

    Http://mrsbriggsclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know how I missed your comment. Yes, students love opinion writing. I hope your students do well with it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete